вторник, 30 августа 2011 г.

Parks and Recreation: Parks, Squares and Alleys and his music of inner romantic


Parks, Squares and Alleys is one-man band from Khabarovsk, Russia. His genre changes from romantic indie-pop and folk to warm noise (and all of these tracks are filled by youth, beauty and lo-fi). His noise tracks rip something from the deep of the heart like Oneohtrix Point Never sketches and pop and folk songs are remind me something from childhood when all was so sweet and cheerful. His new EP will be released somewhen soon and I decided that it's good reason to make an interview with Sergei. So here it is.
UPD: Check the link for his new EP in the end of the post.


Why you took this band name? Is it connected with fact that your music could be described as "cityward"?

There were times when project has name "Walrus Meditation", I was huge fan of "Sonic Youth", and once I was looking through their discography and stumbled on "Hits Are For Squares" compilation and decided to take new band name by analogy. It's also an association with parks and squares of NY — bands from Big Apple always were my inspiration source. I've never been to New York but I really want to. Partly, I was trying to transmit atmosphere and sounds of that city in my noise tracks.

As I could see, now your tracks are moving toward lo-fi folk direction — your new EP will be in this genre?

Mostly, yes, but I don't want to depart from my main stylistics. I like to don't stop on something definite and always have a desire to make some experiments with my sound. There will be not only folk on my new EP.

Your lo-fi records is tribute to genre, to favourite bands or, in addition, necessary need? Do you have some wishes for work in studio?

It all began from "Let It Die" by Feist — I liked unusual, lo-fi, but charming sound. First experiments in sound recording didn't go very well: mic was broken and noised so much. I didn't know how to use music soft, what mixing and mastering means. I was afraid of studio work idea, I didn't understand how to record a correct sound in a studio. When my music became noticed I was proud that I'm independent lo-fi artist. Maybe I had some desires for studio but just couldn't afford it. It's easy for a group to get some money but not for me. Now I have a chance to record in the studio for free and I will take it but don't really know how it will works. I doubt that I will stop my home recording.

From what began your passion of music? How you came to Feist and Sonic Youth?

It all began from pop-punk. When I was 13 I've heard Blink 182 — it was my sudden jump from pop to rock. As far as I can remember myself, when I was listening to music I thought that I want to do the same. When I decided to create a band I couldn't even play a guitar but had a desire to be a rockstar. From pop-punk I jumped to an alternative music, then was my Slayer period, afterward came back to punk and was listening to Misfits, Dead Kennedys and Casualties. In that times these bands were popular among skateboarders, I was one of them and liked to watch skate videos. In the one of the profiles I've heard "Incinerate" by Sonic Youth. That's how I sold my soul to the indie rock. There was no one who listened to SY in our city and not so many people heard about them, I downloaded all the discography and listened to tatters and smudges every song (I'm not taking into account their earlier works) and then I came to noise. After Sonics I moved to Dinosaur Jr., I was impressed by their dirty sound, that's when I found an article about lo-fi music and started listening to Logh, Belle & Sebastian and Feist, for sure.

Is there something in new music that hooked you and seems interesting? Do you have a feeling that best music is completely created?

Frankly, a couple of times I had a somewhat like crisis of ideas and I was depressed because of a thoughts that there's nothing new to create but it passes quickly and new songs came to my head. From new music I hooked by new Pompeya album and last work of Toro Y Moi. Now I'm listening to chillwave, but don't want to do it by myself.

Is there some message in your compositions?

Ealier I've made only music and haven't seen importance of lyrics and now I want from people to get their attention to a texts. I'm trying make sense in all of the lines and to switch on imagination of listeners, to paint pictures in their head. I'm trying to transmit my thoughts, my ideology in songs.
I'm singing about loneliness and the fact that all people are inevitable going to die, that's why we should not to waste our youth on something trivial and do what we want and have some fun while we have a time to do it. Very often my relationships with my girl reflect in music, so recently I started to write about love, breaking up etc. I'm a cheerful person but my melancholy romantic nature may appear in my music.

If you're making interview with anyone, who it will be?

Likely, it will be Morrissey. I love that guy.



PSaA @ Last.fm
New PSaA EP Sad Daydreams is available for download here

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий