четверг, 25 августа 2011 г.

Mild and Honey: Honey and his variety of genres


Honey portrait by Arina Darata

Honey is one-man band from the Kaliningrad, Russia. His new beat tape, "Hoyden" reminds of jazzy instrumentals of El-P and piano pieces of Michael Tariverdiev as if they were mixed with Toro Y Moi lo-fi pop and early Madlib works. But it turned out that instrumental hip-hop it's only tip of the iceberg and there are a lot of genres in Honey discography: post-punk, witch-house, folk, chillwave, minimal techo, etc. That unusual way of material's presentation and good quality of all genre samples literally forced me to make an interview with Maxim. Read it after the jump.

For how long you're making music and why you take that alias, Honey? Not every your track can be described as "sweet" and "dulcet".

I've began to make it at 14 and now I'm 19. Why "Honey"? Don't really know, it's just short, simply and memorable.

Your eclecticism, variety of genres — it's conscientious attitude, constant search of new ways of self-expression or something else? When I listened to your tracks I had the feeling that I'm listening to the radio — it's hard to imagine that it's works of one man.

Yeah, it's my concept. I wanted to make something all-purpose, because I'm many-sided person and for me it's difficult for me to follow some definite genre, that's why i'm trying to choose genre for every new tracks release (Honey put his tracks in web as soon as he finished it — FY). Every release include something new in it.

Honey - Way Out by gnazzz
Postpunk instrumental from the vast Honey discography

From what depends future track's style? What influence you on new ideas?

For some reasons it's 00s. I think that it were times when every genre was specific, indie rock, house, hip-hop, etc. There was something in that time, maybe because at that time I got access to satellite TV and it coincided with beginning of my interest to music. For me it left some music in store from what I'm pushing off.
Occasionally I inspire by new artists and bands. Once I made a witch-house tracks for fun.
Sometimes it came from weather or even TV programme theme. Inspiration could be founded anywhere — it's just important to catch some detail, thought. Details are significant for me, because my music usually grows from a little detail or an idea and then ramifies as tree.

Existance Music by honey10
Honey's rework of Toro Y Moi "Existance Music", part of his "Witch-Chill" series.

If we will talk about your music roots, what influenced you from old music and what's in your player now?

From old music — Sean Paul, RDJ2, progressive house which had been played constantly at my brother's when I was a child, just everything that had been shown on MTV in a period from 2002 to 2008. Besides that, Canadian and Aussie music, they have some specific sound in their blood. My player's favourites: Bear Hands, Teenager, Cities Aviv, Gauntlet Hair, Boyz & Girl, Wiz Khalifa, Mujuice, Wintersleep.

I can't but ask about Mujuice – I observe that he's present in varying degrees in your tracks – did you like his last album, "Downshifting"?

I think that every artist has his own ideas and thoughts about music and they couldn't be the same. As a child grows, musician becomes new person. That's why "Downshifting" is a great example of new level of artistry. It's differ from his other works, but it's very well-judged and perfect. So, yes, I liked it very much.

!!! by honey10
"Creamals" ("!!!") based on Mujuice's vocal sample

 Let's continue to speak about your works – did you have any desire to do some kind of best of, selection of works?

By the way, it's a good idea, but I think that for big guys like Guns of Roses, RHCP or Wu. I don't think that there will be so much listeners for my best.

Your new beat-tape, "Hoyden", has a concept? I think it's like one day in a life of a girl from a cover and a name suggests it.

Initially, I just had written instrumentals for fellas from South Pakistan (hip-hop group from Kaliningrad – FY) and it hadn't gone very well, because I hadn't dealt with this earlier. And this summer I bought an AKAI and met one girl, she was a painter – she did the cover of "Hoyden". Then a muse came to me and I kinda learn it. "Hoyden" it's a word for girl and I'm like hoyden-boy, it's about me. Somewhat like new style.

Black magic by honey10
"Black Magic", fresh and fine cut from "Hoyden" beat tape

Your music gives an impression of something for folks, for private use. You don't chase for success, but your music is trendy and modern. Didn't you have a wish to become more known to people?

Yep, it's very private. But I want to go beyond circle of friends. For me, the main thing is to give some feelings to people. My dream – to heard my tracks on the big stage or in the club. It would be awesome even if someone include it in mix. I just want to know that people has my music in their players and that they know some guy who sits at home and writes music just because he wants it.
Frankly, I'm a little bit afraid of a stage. For a long time I want to create a band and make a good album with their help. But it's too early to think about gigs. I think I'm not ready for this. When you're Justin Bieber, you're not worried about it all – you just do what what managers told you to do and when you're alone it's a little frightening.

 Do you have some future directions, new genres?

 If I can't create the band, I'll stay in instrumental hipster-hop. But if I'll find people for work – I don't really know. But honestly – I have no idea and it's not so important for me.

And the last question – what do you think about new anonymous musicians?

 I'm tired of them – it's difficult to download it.


"Hoyden" beat tape is available for download here
"You Should Be Dancin'" discotape is available for download here
Honey @ Last.fm

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий